Took some time yesterday to visit my friend Mary. We had jasmine herbal tea and some deep conversations about life. I love talking to her as we spin ideas off each other and always come away feeling somewhat fulfilled, yet eager to tackle our own life and its unique challenges. We all need friends for feedback, support and comfort. Mary shared a book she has read recently and her 11 pages of notes. Called You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective by Richard Carlson (author of Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff.)
CHAPTER 11: A CHECKLIST FOR YOUR LIFE
- Is my life really all that bad right now, or am I simply in a low mood?
- Am I following the road toward unhappiness in an attempt to find happiness.
- Am I putting my opinions above my positive feelings? Do I want to be right, or be happy?
- Am I reacting to someone else’s low mood?
- Am I playing out a war in my own head? (Mental arguing)
- Am I struggling with a problem?
- Is my tolerance for stress too high? Ease up, rest, stop over-thinking, clear the mind.
- Am I thinking about myself too much?
- Am I taking my past with me?
- Am I postponing my life?