Thursday, August 13, 2009

Being Different


Read an interesting article about young women from muslim countries that still wear the hijab or head scarf in America and other countries, not because they have to but because they want to. That brought thoughts of how there is such a pressure to conform to society's standards and sometimes it's difficult to sort out your own religious feelings. I know being a member of the Mormon faith-Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints requires certain standards of modesty and health codes. We don't smoke, drink alcohol, coffee or tea. All of that is for a reason not just conformity but health issues. The modesty standard is also reflected in our vow of chastity before marriage and fidelity afterwards. It gives me security to have ideals to live up to. These same sentiments were reflected in the article... She says her decision to honor her faith is already paying off. "It really feels good," she says. "It felt like I was missing something and now I'm complete. I finally understand my purpose."

In what ways are you DIFFERENT?

5 comments:

  1. We're all different, no matter what we wear or how we look. I just can't help but think this kind of covering up is a form of hiding from the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Linda that we're all different in so many ways. It's hard to understand how others think sometimes but we need to try to be tolerant and accepting if they do no harm and hope that you will be afforded the same kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a Muslim woman who covers her head and expresses a similar view--that she is free to be herself and not the girl with the pretty hair or whatever.

    I keep my hair short, though not too short, and seldom think to comb it. So I can appreciate this.

    I suppose my point of view is individual whereas hers is not; by covering her head she is publicly identifying herself with a specific group of faithful people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What we have inside of ourselves is what sets us apart from each other and makes each one of us very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Lin...I drink coffee..LOL. I think all too often we concentrate on the differences instead of our commonalities..the need to be loved and understood and appreciate no matter what color, or race or religion we are.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete