Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Writing Ideas

In our Writers WORDshop we are studying metaphors and similies. They certainly add interest to creative writing. Here's some I wrote during our class taught by one of the members of the group Wilma: The moon is like...an open window that reveals God to us. A shoe is like...a protective parent enclosing us in a safe embrace. Our nose points the way to go like the needle on a compass that we follow. An eyebrow shields us from the sun like a beach umbrella.

She was as lonely as a single dandelion lost in a field of sunflowers. They were as tall and thin as trees bereft of leaves buffeted by winter's cold winds. He was as plump as a balloon ready to burst. Try your hand at them. It's fun!

RESISTANCE comes creeping like a sly cat wanting to leap on an unsuspecting prey, yet waiting for just the right moment to pounce.
SHYNESS is a wall that protects us from hurt and limits our adventures.
COURAGE with faith encourages growth like fertilizer helps plants to grow and bloom.

8 comments:

  1. You've got some wonderufl images there, sends the mind in my directions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! You are such a great writer, Lin! This is a terrific exercise for writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just left my comment on your last post. Hey! Have I ever claimed to be a detail person? uhhh... no. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the resistance piece. So true! It does have a way of creeping in and up and around. So sly!

    And the alliteration that developed in these was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not good at this kind of thing. All that comes to mind is that I am sick as a dog and then I wonder where that saying came from..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so enjoyed your post -- what wonderful pictures your metaphors and similes evoke!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I especially like you shyness metaphor! So true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll bet this is a fun lesson. I love both the metaphor and the simile.

    ReplyDelete