Sunday, March 8, 2009

Time Change

Well we are starting daylight savings time early this year as mandated by federal law. I talked to my friend in Sweden and they won't be starting until the end of March when we used to start. So now we loose the hour we gained last fall when we stopped our daylight savings program.

There are still people on our earth who don't run their lives by clocks. They get up with the sun or before, work, eat lunch, work, eat dinner and go to bed when it's dark. We, the elite developed society, have time down to a rocket science with our satellite clocks, digital time pieces and 1/1000th of a second. Reminds me of the Olympic swimmers who lost their medals by a tiny portion of a second. It was as if their supreme efforts didn't count because they were too SLOW.

Yet in the scriptures it tells us GOD'S TIME is not our time...a thousand years of our time is but one day in His time. (2 Peter 3:8- But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.) Therefore time is RELATIVE to the planet you are on and how fast it circles its sun.

We spend much of our precious time regretting the past, longing for the future and hardly ever living in the NOW moment. I found myself doing that the other day on a walk...instead of enjoying: the warm fresh air, buds trying to bloom and my good fortune to still have the health to walk, I found myself planning future events and recalling past experiences. I had to say to myself: STOP, live in the NOW moment. GRATITUDE helps us do that-make a list right now of all the wonderful blessings you have and don't forget to take a DEEP BREATH. 

8 comments:

  1. We changed our clocks last night and we'll be getting up very early tomorrow to fly to Arizona, where our watches will be on time, since Arizona does not switch to Daylight Time. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. Man is forever trying to re-invent the wheel...or to improve on what God has already made perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time change that I've waited this late into the day to reset the clocks. Only my compter has the "right time" at the moment. I better get off my duff and fix things!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you, Lin! I have spent the last three hours wallowing in regret--about something I can't do later. How foolish of me.

    I have found that living in the moment makes doing more, living more, being more possible.

    How must time be for our omnipresent God?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm rather glad we don't change our clocks here. However, I have to remember the time difference for Illinois since we're now 5 hours difference instead of 4.

    You're right that we need to focus on today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lin, I really enjoyed your thoughts today......

    and who ever would have thought that we'd stoop to fretting about a thousandth of a second....

    I grew up on a farm and before my dad had to go out into the marketplace to support his family. As long as I can remember, my soul and heart have longed for those simpler times when seasons were our main time clock:

    In spring, we planted; in summer, we weeded and watered; in fall, we harvested; in winter, we rested.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post..I would like to be able to take a deep breath without coughing...LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup! I agree completely. Living in the moment is too often set aside. I can't figure out why. But, I get sucked into it as much as anyone. You know my favorite clock... remember? The one my son gave me that just says, "Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday....."

    ReplyDelete