Thursday, March 26, 2009

Patches and Pins

One of my blogging friends Deborah has a fun post about Girl Scout patches which reminded me of Boy Scout patches-being the mother of four sons who were all active in scouting, I sewed on lots of patches. (Photo above of my three older scouting sons l-r Brook, Daniel and Frank holding my youngest son Jeff is his homemade scout uniform made by me. Three of my four sons became Eagle Scouts.) My husband has all his boy scout patches and I have my Dad's that he earned while being a leader in an Air Scout troop for the year before his death.


























Pins-I have quite a collection of DUP-Daughters of Utah Pioneers pins-some for awards, others just for fun. I've been a member of this organization that honors Utah Pioneers who came here between the years 1847-1869 before the transcontinental railroad was finished. I've also served as a Captain or leader for 5 years and started a new camp in New Harmony. It's a fun group of  women that met monthly for history lessons and to share their heritage. I also have a collection of Native American baskets, rugs, pottery, etc. 

Tell us about your collections.

10 comments:

  1. Fun memories, I'm sure! I have moved so much in my life that I never collected anything and stil don't but it's fun to see others collections!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you aren't kidding - they really kept you busy sewing! Great to see and read about your family history of patches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a bang up job getting the New Harmony camp rolling. Do you still visit them for one of their activites once in a while? Who's the captain now? You have always been such an industrious soul! You can accomplish more in a week than I care to attempt in three months. Proud of ya!! And your three Eagle Scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three Eagle Scouts in one family must be some kind of record. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You made me remember my own girl scout days and all those fun badges. You have lots of history to share:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter was in Campfire, and I was a leader for about eight years. We had patches and then beads. Lots of sewing on and designing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My collections..Hand made Teddy Bears..I know..it's strange, but I started about 15 years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are very lovely pins. I remember how much my daughter loved being in the girl scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pins!! I have collected Polish Pottery...even painted my old kitchen walls to replicate the design. Boy was I sad when Ken painted over it before we moved... and before I ever had the chances to snap a pix of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd say your friend Sylvia K did collect something--moves.

    ReplyDelete