Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sportsmanship, Compliments and Awards

I'm always upset when my husband is watching sports and the opposing team comes out to be greeted by booing of the home team's fans. I think that is very unsportsmanlike. I feel the same way about politics and how many feel they have to attack each other in order to make themselves look good. Caryn mentioned that Bush was booed at the Inaugeration when he came out and I think that is deplorable behavior. It's so much easier to criticize that it is to recognize someone achievements or at least their efforts to achieve something.

I was impressed with how our new President Obama is starting his first day in office with a time of personal prayer and meditation, then he read a note left by Pres. Bush before beginning his work as the new leader of our nation. On CNN it stated...His faith "is a central part of his life and he will begin the first full day of his administration with a service of interfaith prayer and reflection," said Presidential Inaugural Committee Communications Director Josh Earnest. "The National Prayer Service, which will embody the themes of tolerance, unity and understanding, is a worship service for all Americans." I (Lin) think we should follow his example and not continue the "Bush bashing" but rather expend our faith and energies in supporting our new leader and going forward.

On a brighter note, I was pleased to receive an award yesterday from Brenda, an award called the Premio Dardos Award. This award 'acknowledges the values that every Blogger displays in their effort to transmit cultural, ethical, literary, and personal values with each message they write.' Thanks Brenda-I do try to say something timely and interesting each time I blog that could possibly inspire or make others think. Awards like this have been created with the intention of promoting community among Bloggers. It's a way to show appreciation and gratitude for work that adds value to the Web.

I understand this award comes with a couple of rules, and they are: 1. Accept the award, post it on your blog together with the name of the person who granted it to you, along with his/her blog link. 2. Pass the award to (15) other blogs that you feel are worthy of this recognition. Remember to contact each of them to let them know they have been chosen as recipients. I will choose just one blog that I think is outstanding. Hans Strandberg of Sweden who is so diligent and untiring in promoting the educational needs of African students in Kenya. I've known Hans for many years and watched him grow from a young son of my best friend to a responsible teacher, father of five lovely children and husband of Elsa from Iceland. Check out his website sometime. He can always use encouragement and support-financially or emotionally in this important project.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for being you Lin. Thanks for taking side in life. Thanks for moving onward not Bush-bashing it.
    I know why my mother enjoys your friendship, you are good! We all make choices in life each day. I know I try my hardest to be what I say I am and that strive is what I call a good life. Yes, We have been truly blessed.
    I would like to thank all who have contributed to the two students in Kenya last year. This year will all funds go to the poor school, "LA Unica" with dirtfloor and tin roof. I have been there and assure that all funds come in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the booing was a good thing either (but I have to admit, being a music person, I had a chuckle over the spontaneous chorus of na na hey hey). I was also impressed that Obama cut off the VP when he started to make a joke at John Robert's expense over flubbing the oath. I hope that is indicative of the domestic and foreign attitude of the new administration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your award and I am heading over the blog that you passed it on to...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Lin and I'm all for taking the high road at this point.

    Congratulations on your well deserved award.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't always agreed with President Bush and I'm glad he's out of office, but I don't think he should have been booed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be calm and dignified...the bad rascals will learn from example, I hope. It's the long, slow road to change. It's the only one, I think, too.

    We degrade ourselves when we denigrate others. I'm glad our President doesn't have time for this sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, I agree about not bashing Bush. He knows what's going on, and we don't need to rub it in his wounds. He's going to have a lot of reflecting in the next weeks or months, we should let him be and hope that he grows from everything he learned.

    Congratulations on your award, one well deserved!

    ReplyDelete