Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Politics and Politeness

I've been impressed by Obama's respect and courtesy shown to our former President George W. Bush as the baton was passed from old leader to new leader. Obama spoke publicly recently saying Pres. Bush was a "good guy":

“If you look at my statements throughout the campaign, I always thought he was a good guy,” the Democratic president-elect said on CNN about the Republican president whom he replaces Tuesday. “I mean, I think personally he is a good man who loves his family and loves his country. And I think he made the best decisions that he could at times under some very difficult circumstances.” Asked if there was anything Obama wanted to take back, now that he has spent more time with the president, Obama praised Bush's team for helping with a smooth transition and said part of what America is about is being able to have "disagreements politically and yet treat each other civilly."

The mark of a gentleman and wise leader. On to the future.

6 comments:

  1. Lin, I've been enjoying your comments about this theme..... I appreciate your thoughtful insights!

    BTW, Just want to let you know there's an Award waiting for you at my site today, so you can come by and pick it up!

    http://awordfromhome.blogspot.com/2009/01/premio-dardos-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good summation, and yes, the future beckons. I think we're in good hands

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Lin..

    I too have been impressed with the coutesy and respect they have shown one another. If only the entire nation will work together with the same level of graciousness, we shall make some real progress toward common goals. Please, puhleeeeze.... let's move on the the future.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like George and Laura Bush. I think they are very good people. But I'm glad they are out of the White House and back home in Texas. So far, I'm very impressed with President Obama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classy, polished, beautiful. It feels good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think Bush should have been booed when he came out to the VIP stand...that wasn't right no matter how I feel about him as President

    ReplyDelete