Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Where to find adult classes?

Since Jo asked me where to find classes now that she is retired and lives nearby, here's some generic ideas for everyone and specific links for our area:

1. Start first with your town/city's Recreation Department's Community Education. Ours is called Leisure Services. Local public school districts also may offer separate or combined classes with city recreation programs. I think we have separate classes usually their schedule comes in the mail after school starts.

2. Next look at any nearby University or College's Community or Adult Ed. programs. We have two: Dixie State College community education program cost about $44/class and a freeby program called Institute for Continued Learning ICL-you pay $40/year and can register for as many classes as you want, taught by volunteers.


3. If you have local Applied Technology Center's, check out their adult classes. Many have open entry classes that you can join at any time and progress at your own speed whether it is a computer or some other specialized class.

4. Find a mentor in the area you want to study to help you get going. i.e. weaver, potter, upholstery, scrapbooking or whatever your interest is.

5. Volunteer to become a mentor or teacher. Gather a group around you to study and learn together. Be it a book club, writer' group, weight loss class or whatever.

6. Check out local clubs or interest groups in the newspaper. Go to one of their meetings or workshops and join. We joined the Dixie Archeology Club, they have monthly field trip to local rock art and interesting speakers at their meetings.

7. The possibilities are endless as you consider libraries, Sr. Citizen centers, Internet, and  government agencies like Forest Service, Natl. Parks, etc.

4 comments:

  1. It's great that you give out all of this info. I don't need adult classes, see, I have 5 children and they teach me plenty..Some of them are at the age where they think I really don't know much. Although I taught P.E and ran my own daycare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Lin. I'm printing this one - simply for the wonderful info. It goes in my "IMPORTANT" file. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Information!!

    I know Snow College has some pretty good classes in a couple of the area's that I have an interest in pursuing. Time...sweet, time.

    I need to find the ommph papa to make time for learning a few new things.

    My assistant broker (a good friend) just bought our real estate office and is relying heavly on my colleage, Maureen and me to help her build up her business the next couple of years. I don't think I want to work past next fall. I really would like to spend some more time sculpting and writing and kicking back at the Hollow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lin. The links will be especially helpful until I get on appropriate mailing lists.

    ReplyDelete