Saturday, August 30, 2008

How much is enough?

I have several family members and friends who are involved in charitable giving. Which brings me to this question… How much giving is enough? There is so much need in the world for the homeless, hungry, terrorized, sick and destitute. How do we, who have so much, decide what to give? It’s important to investigate whatever charity you are considering giving to before donating.


Our church simplifies that as they have a Humanitarian Services that we can give to and know it will be used to help those in need regardlessly of faith and anywhere. We also have a Deseret Industries that gives training and jobs to those needing them. We can recycled our used clothing, shoes and furnishings there by donating to DI. Another program is called Perpetual Education Fund that loans money to youth in developing countries so they can further their education and job training skills, then they pay back the loan when they get a job so others can be helped.

I have heard recently of several worthwhile projects that you might want to participate in:

1. Hans Strandberg, son of my best friend Gittan in Sweden is single-handedly helping a group of Africans in Kenya with their school needs. See his website Hans commented in a recent email…Yes there are surely lots of needy people all over... No one can do all, but all can do something.

2. My daughter-in-law Nedret originally from Turkey made me aware of a new site Charity Water a group who are digging wells in various parts of the world. She says in a recent email….I'm using my birthday this year to support charity: water's September campaign to bring clean and safe drinking water to the people of Ethiopia. I recently learned that more than 1.1 billion people in the world today don't have the most basic thing: clean water to drink. Over 4,500 kids die each and every day from water-related disease. To do my part, I've been supporting an organization called charity: water that has been making a real difference. This year, I've decided to give up birthday gifts and ask for donations instead. 100% of the money raised will go directly to building freshwater wells, which will be proved with GPS coordinates and photos on Google Earth. Please make a donation on my page.

3. My son Daniel supports several children in undeveloped countries who need financial means to live more productively. I believe that program is called World Vision for just $20/month per child you can make a difference in someone’s life. You are given the name of the child you sponsor and a photo. Then there are the Mother Teresa’s of the world who donate their whole lives to charity. You certainly have to respect and honor their dedication.

Tell us about your favorite charities.

7 comments:

  1. My husband and I keep all the solicitations for charity throughout the year, then we organize them and research which ones have the least overhead and is something we want to support. We then decide how much to send to each. We're hoping that by doing this we are balancing how much we're giving to each need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lin..thank you for posting that information. I think the way my husband gives back is by being a volunteer fireman for almost 30 years. Last year he won an award for answering the most calls. Over 700-mostly first aid and some fires.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I donate monthly to the Seattle Union Gospel Mission, which provides food and shelter to the homeless, and runs shelters for women and children. I began donating regularly years ago when I found out one of my students was living in the shelter.
    Others I have donated to are Paralyled Vets of America, World Vision, and Mercy Corps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to write checks to various charities back when I had a "real job." Of course, a lot of my favorite charities helped animals...but I also tried to give a little to those that helped people in need. I noticed though, that some of those organizations would then hound me for more money.

    Now that I live on social security, I can't afford to do very much. I limit myself to giving to organizations in my area. I put a little money in donation jars and give food to the local food bank. It's not much, but hopefully every little bit helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to take little trinkets,
    ie: pretty scarves, wool gloves, bracelets, necklaces, earrings, yummy lotions, etc, to the local Women's Shelter. I can buy a lot of this stuff at garage sales and local thrift shops. I also take a few boxes, somr wrapping paper and ribbon.

    I think it's nice for them to have items like these on hand so the children. who are sheltered there can pick out a present and wrap it for their mom's on Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, Christmas and for birthdays.

    I don't do nearly what I used to do... But, I do buy ice cream or a little treat fot kids who I see behaving well when they're out shpping with their mothers. (I ask permission from their mom's, of course) I also like to leave money in vending machines and the little rides they have outside of grcery stores. I like to take a flower to the gal who works the drive in window at Taco Bell or Wendy's. If I overhear someone say they'd like something, I try to get it for them, wrap it really fancy, and leave it in their mailbox. I write letters to various people in the community, my neighborhood, church, etc and tell them some good things I've heard or noticed about them. I do the small, insignificant stuff. Maybe some day I'll gat back to doing more. I tried to join a Habitat for Humanity group. I wanted to pound some nails and paint...stuff like that. They kept asking me to be on the board of directors. I don't want to administrate at this point in my life. I just want to do a little "hands on" kind of work for a while.

    If I could have lived the life of any one on the planet... I think I would like to have lived like Mother Teresa... but, that's not the road I took with my life... so I just try to scatter a little giggle here and there. Kinda like Johnny Appleseed, I guesss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a good time reading these comments and yes we do what we can, dont know Johnny appleseed back over here in Sweden, but he seems to do the job. We cant do all, but all can do some, and we all need to find our way of doin things.
    Right now Im i a work position that prevents me from goin home four nights a week (too expensive because of distance) and this gives me some more time and I try to spread some happiness through pictures from trips to Kenya and Iceland on my blog and then Lin asked me to put a PayPal donation button on it and that has taken some time of course.
    Yes I would like to look back on my life and see that I used my time mostly wise and I want to be content with that.
    Pappa Hans

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are several that I donate to. I especially try to do it regularly here in my town. I went a step further and researched and found that I could help several organizations that help those in need by clicking on their sites daily.

    I make it a point to do that - every day. I also have their links on my blogs and sites so others who visit my site can click also and provide help for the needy.

    ReplyDelete