Thursday, November 21, 2019

Where Has Lin Been?

It's a LONG STORY, my trip into trying to buy an Iphone7. Several years ago my son Daniel gave me an Iphone6 that wasn't being used in his family when Emilee left for her mission. I had been wanting to TRY using a SMART PHONE as my old dumb phone-an android didn't work at times and I could only do phoning and texting but HAD no internet access. BUT guess what my preferred carrier VERIZON didn't support that particular year of Apple Phone. BELIEVE IT OR NOT! So I returned the phone reluctantly.

Then just recently I was called to be our RELIEF SOCIETY SECRETARY. Well, it was now necessary to have a SMART PHONE to do my assigned work in keeping track of 182 women that are in our group. THIS SHOULD BE EASY-RIGHT? Wrong-it took me 2 weeks to get my old cell phone number released from Century Link which is our land line because I had BUNDLED them to save $. The bills were unbundled immediately BUT they said it would take 2-4 days before I could set up a new phone with my old phone number with VERIZON which was confirmed by them.

So after 3-4 trips to the VERIZON store and numerous chat calls online and quite a few tears of frustration I finally got my Iphone7. BUT GUESS WHAT-I had no idea how to set it up. VERIZON helped a little to get me going but no lessons or tutoring. Being a MAC USER, I thought I can do this myself. Trying to intuit it didn't work too well and I'm still struggling. Just setting up my INTERNET EMAILS was a real intellectual and emotional CHALLENGE. But that's now done.

Others in my COMMUNITY helped with their advice and efforts and I can now do TEXTING or MESSAGES, EMAILS and some CALLS. But I need to put in my phone numbers from my now defunct DUMB PHONE. I now understand why many GRANDPARENTS avoid technology.

3 comments:

  1. Every time I move to an upgrade, I get very nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for trying though. You will get the new phone to doing what you need it to do, and ignore all the stuff you don't need.
    We are in the process of buying new computers. I am not looking forward to having to learn all new operating systems and figure out how to do all the stuff I used to do. But we oldsters still live and learn. Good on us!

    ReplyDelete