Thursday, June 22, 2017

Physical CHALLENGES

Reaching the age of 77 this summer has brought its health challenges. After a fall at home several months ago, suddenly my shoulder was very painful and I couldn't use it. Well, no problem except when you want to reach for something or try to get clothes on or off. Not fun, so a trip to an orthopedic doctor came back with the diagnosis of slightly torn rotator cuff. I didn't even know I had one until my left shoulder started to ache and then the pain went down my arm.

Well, the treatment I chose was a steroid shot and exercises to do at home. i remember asking my doctor if the shot would hurt and he said I don't think so. Which was silly because I've been getting monthly shots in my left eye for over a year for some vision problems after my cataract surgery. Of course, they numb your eye with drops. Well, the shot didn't hurt and helped so much. Now I'm doing daily exercises and improving lots. Thanks to hubby who has stepped up to the plate and helped lots with daily tasks. Here's a poem I wrote about it.

Torn Rotator Cuff

A teacher always there
twenty four hours
night and day a reminder
of my humanness.

A dull ache unless I try
to move quickly then
pain increases, mobility
is optional, stiffness rules.

What life's lessons
await me from this?
I ask, the same answer
comes............patience.


2 comments:

  1. Ouch. Why are patience lessons so painful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the health problems. But, happy that you're on the road to recovery. I agree with Linda, patience lessons are more painful these days.

    ReplyDelete