Thursday, October 2, 2014

Article #311 Parental Influence


When asked who was the most influential person in her life, Cathy Sandefur of St. George says: “I first thought of my father. He was always around when I needed him, and taught me that a father’s love is unconditional (or at least should be unconditional). I learned not only right from wrong but also to be true to myself and never lie or be cruel to others. Dad was a kind and generous man that I loved very much. Even in later years when Alzheimers was taking him away from us, he remained gentle and kind. I took him out to lunch every week and once I ask him if he knew who I was. He thought for a minute and then, with a smile said my full name and added, you are my daughter. This response still brings a smile to my face and tears to my eyes today."

"Next was my loving mother who taught me how to cook, do laundry, clean house and garden. She worked hard and assured me that anything worth doing was worth doing right. Taking care of her at the end of her life was one of the hardest tests in my life and yet, one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. I miss her."
 
"From my grandfather I learned a love of birds and gardening. He raised parakeets and canaries. So much fun for a child of eight to feed the birds and watch the fledging parakeets run across the floor of the aviary. Grandpa also had a kind and gentle soul. He was a great cook. and his rice pudding was the best ever made. My sweet grandmother was from Sweden and would do anything for her family. She taught me the value of a smile even when all you wanted to do was cry. I consider myself very lucky to have been born into such a family and to have been influenced for good.”

Now it’s your turn to immortalize your family by sending in your thoughts about your family background. What did you learn from the examples of others in your growing up years? What legacy do you want to leave of their memories for your descendents. Sharing the history of your family can be as easy as telling your young ones about your childhood experiences or writing them down to pass them on. NEXT TIME:  Unforgettable Moments.

1 comment: