Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pioneer Day Again

July 24th, 1847 is the date the Mormon Pioneers entered Salt Lake valley to settle here. They had suffered religious persecution in Illinois and been driven out of state after state. In Utah, we celebrate this occasion as Pioneer Day. It's a big deal in my family as we have over 15 different families that come to Utah. FamilySearch.org has started a new service if you register for their free website and have Mormon pioneers they will link them to the Overland Trails site developed by BYU that has journal entries and other info on your pioneers. Here's a screen shot of what they found for me. Click photo below to enlarge. A few of my pioneers aren't listed but I have them on my family history website and have written many of their histories. I love all my ancestors but especially refer my pioneer progenitors.


1 comment:

  1. Coming from Illinois, I am somewhat aware of the history of the Mormon folks leaving the state. I think it is so delightful that you are always looking into more of your family history. Always interesting to trace those relatives. My family came to Illinois from Germany, and they never left the area. We had the privilege of meeting up some cousins in Germany who showed us around to the towns where my family originated. Love it.

    ReplyDelete