Sunday, September 9, 2012

Volunteering...


What joy comes from freely giving,
not for compensation or reward, but
just because it's possible and needed.

I volunteered yesterday at the local
DUP-Daughters of Utah Pioneer's 
museum as a docent-loved helping others 
understand the important contributions
of early pioneers to our area. 

Feeling useful and connecting to strangers
only barely met, answering their
questions and giving directions to
other nearby historical attractions. 

Volunteering is fun. It's part of my spiritual
DNA as a Mormon to serve freely
when asked, not expecting anything
in return except BLESSINGS...
which do come unexpectedly. 

Where did you last volunteer? 

2 comments:

  1. I volunteered at a local reusable/recyclable warehouse recently, stuffing free backpacks for school children. I was glad to be able to lend a hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I last volunteered at a shelter for injured wildlife in North Carolina. I loved it. Thanks for this poem.

    ReplyDelete