Saturday, January 7, 2012

Articles #180 Courage and Fortitude

Fortitude is defined as strength and endurance in a difficult or painful situation, resilience, guts, staying power, courage, grit, stamina or determination. How do you develop it? Perhaps by carefully examining your own life and attempts to make changes over the years. A new year for many provides a clean slate to start over, but you can change at any point in your life. All it takes is desire and the courage to act differently.

Taking a stand with yourself in your life can be the beginning for personal change. i.e. I resolve to stop overeating or exercise more. Examine carefully why you want to make a change in your life, and then commit to doing it. Focus on the rewards of accomplishing your resolution. Use a journal or checklist to keep track and examine your actions daily towards a new way of living. When you fall back, don’t let that defeat you, but have the fortitude to continue with courage and determination. The opposite of fortitude is weakness or giving up, becoming discouraged. Remember, you haven’t failed as long as you are keep trying. As Winston Churchill said, “Never, never, never give up.”

Writing in a journal can help you analyze why you aren’t changing. Maybe your goals aren’t realistic or you need a support person to encourage you. If you believe in a higher power, that can be a great source of strength. Family members can also encourage one another during times of challenge in health, employment or relationships. A quote I saw the other day said: “FAMILY-We Believe in Each Other.” I like that idea. Both my mom and grandmother were widowed while young and had to gather the courage to keep going with their lives, getting jobs to support their families. They were great examples of fortitude to me when I became a single parent who needed to support my family. Hopefully I am being that kind of example to my descendents.

Build upon the strengths you have as an individual and try to understand yourself better. Find the courage to begin celebrating yourself as the unique person you are with talents and abilities to be developed. Change is possible. Look around and you will find the world’s full of individuals needing a smile or a kind word. Start where you are and speak encouragingly to yourself and all you come in contact with.

3 comments:

  1. These are great ideas. It's bee years since I have kept a journal. Maybe now is the time to start again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really liked this. I also think 'journaling' out loud keeps me changing. when I hear myself say what i want to do/be/change, it becomes loud in my memory palace.

    ReplyDelete