Friday, October 7, 2011

Article #168 Find Your Voice

So let’s say you are still not convinced you want to write your life story. It’s okay to just talk about your life. That’s the way that many societies pass down their values and traditions-orally. It may seem easier to ignore the fact that your life story hasn’t been written and hope that your family will be gracious in writing your obituary from memory one day, but don’t count on it.

The other option is to write your life story now, come to understand the contributions and learning that have happened to you during your lifetime. I love to read my daily diary written when I was in my early teens to remind me of what my life and aspirations were in those days. Concerns over if a certain boy liked me, etc were common and part of my growing up. Recalling those experiences can help me give wise counsel to my posterity and to recognize the changes that took place in my thinking and development over the years.

We all need to be surrounded by caring loving individuals, friends as well as family, to support us in our journey here to FIND OUR VOICE. What do I mean voice? It’s the uniqueness that is you, your personality, attitude, reactions to life, talents, abilities, etc. Each person is different, even identical twins, because there is no one else exactly like you. Writing your life story, keeping a daily journal and striving to improve yourself are all ways of finding your voice.

Then the challenge comes to help others within your influence find their unique voice. There is entirely too much depression and suicides in our society and families, because many have lost their way and don’t know who they are. Writing has a way of slowing down the rush of our daily lives and helping us to meditate on what we are doing here. It does take commitment to self-growth coupled with prayer or deep contemplation to understand how to live better. May you find this peace as you write your life story and share it with friends and others in your family or just write it for therapy.

Ask for help if needed. There are many helpful books and other resources online. Within your own circle of friends or family there’s bound to be someone with computer skills and writing ability that can help you with this important task.

3 comments:

  1. I used to love watching my students in my creative writing class discover their voices through their personal writings about themselves and their families. And, by sharing their stories aloud in their reading/writing groups, they discovered they truly belonged to the Family of Man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so wise. You have a great desk-side manner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so true and teachers use journals in the classroom to try to help with that. I even did it with my special needs students except for the very non-verbal and then we drew for them....maybe I need to find my voice as the life story is a painful journey for me now..

    ReplyDelete