Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dealing with Change

As I was taking my walk around the neighborhood the other afternoon, I got to thinking about CHANGE. How when things are going well, we don't want anything to change BUT when problems arise we don't want to face them. When we blog we usually just talk about the good things, but those of us who are honest also mention the challenging times also. There's a new book out that sounds very interesting by a Utah author Amanda Dickson entitled Change it up! Looking differently at the change you want––and the change you don't.

The author challenges you to think of 3 times in your life that were painful. Hold each one in your heart for just a moment and remember the GIFTS it gave you. Other questions include:
1. What is the worst thing that has ever happened to you?
2. How has it made you who you are today?
3. What has it taught you?
4. In what ways would you not be YOU without that challenge?
5. In other words, how has it blessed you?

Recently after Christmas I went through a down time. It took lots of digging to figure out what was really bugging me. It went back to an event in 1975 that forever changed my life when I divorced my unfaithful husband and set off as a single parent. Now applying the questions above. Getting divorced was the worst thing I could think would ever happen to me, but it also was a blessing as I learned how to function on my own as a single parent and find my self worth as an individual. It was a blessing in disguise.

So as we wish our children wealth and happiness we also need to understand that trials will come their way and challenges for them to grow from, and that's okay.

7 comments:

  1. Good post, Lin. It is sometimes difficult to look at the good that comes from the bad things that happen, but it is often there.

    Attitude is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful post Lin. I can so relate to it! It does make one stop and really "sort things out".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for these thoughts which cause me to reflect...parellel lives. God bless you.
    And where in the world is Caryn?
    She's another one who is helpful in thinking things through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this, Lin. I needed that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I revealed a bit of a funk in my posting today. Much of what's bugging me is outside of my control. But am really always in control of my mood if I just take charge of it. I'm avoiding something. I think I know what it is. Time to take charge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very true...what seems terrible today might turn out a blessing in coming days.Happened so many times to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An uplifting and positive way to view change!!!!

    ReplyDelete