Thursday, January 7, 2010

CHANGES?

I called my sweet aunt Ethel who will be 90 in a few days and asked her what she was doing. Seems she'd just finished undecorating her house from the holidays and was sitting down eating some chocolates. She immediately said but "they'll just make me fat and I should be out walking." It seems many of us feel that way and it's only 7 days into the New Year, our resolutions to "eat better and exercise more" are just that resolutions-something we'd like to do but....on another day or year. The slogan carpe diem means just that seize the day. Now is the time to repent to resolve and to change if you really want to. (Clipart.com for photos.)

So yesterday I got up and decided to go try water aerobics inside because it's such good exercise during the hot summers outside. I don't like the smell of chlorine or putting on a swimsuit when the temperature's lower than freezing outside, but I DID IT because I've been on a weight plateau-not loosing or gaining which is good but I want to loose 12 more pounds before I turn 70 in July 2010 which is about 2 pounds/month or .5 pounds/week. That is doable but with just walking daily and watching what I eat portionwise, I'm making no progress. So I NEED TO ADD MORE EXERCISE. Thinking about it or typing about it on my computer isn't going to do it, so I dressed warmly in my swim suit and sweat clothes and joined the other "mature" ladies and one gentleman at the pool. Once I got there I was happy to be there and feel this is something I can do for ME.

Somehow we always put ourselves last on any TO DO list, we need to be at the top of the list and then we'll be able to fill our well and have more strength, love and self esteem to share/give to others in our lives. Tell us what you are doing in the new year to VALUE YOU.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck, Lin, I applaud your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard water aerobics are great. Have not done them myself, but I do go to exercise class, which involves walking, weights, resistance training, and stretching, three times a week, and I walk on my own most other days. That's about all the daily exercise I can stand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add weights to your workouts...building muscle will help you with the last few pounds of fat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Lin! I have promised myself that I will not be so "hard" on myself (a lesson that I have taken from your posts!)and that I will continue to try to do something nice each day for someone. For exercise I have been trying to snowshoe every day that I am able and have really watched my diet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An honorable goal, Lin. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend of mine recommends water aerobics, but I'm not a water person and I haven't donned a swimsuit for many years. It is an option though if my back and arthritis get too bad.
    Good for you for making the move, Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to lose the weight I gained while I was sick, too. Good for you for getting out there and doing something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the PERFECT article for me to be reading today. Not that I can do any water aerobics... there's no pool within 35 miles of here.

    But, the whole idea that we need to take some time out of our over scheduled days to do something for ourselves...like increasing our own health and well being is a much needed kick in the seater.

    I'm going to read some of your past posts and catch up on your life now. LOVE the pic of the new addition to the family. Absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find myself in awe of the lady at 90 who "should be out for a walk." Why do I suspect a woman with that kind of heart is not likely to get fat? What a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you Lin..I heard that water exercise is low impact, but really good for you...Michelle

    ReplyDelete