Friday, January 8, 2010

Article #85 Old Fashioned Values

What’s happened to the old fashioned values such as: modesty, fidelity, and honesty? In our modern times they don’t seem to exist or even be considered especially as portrayed in films or TV shows. The young couple meets, falls in lust (not love), and heads to the bedroom. What’s happened to dating, courting, and getting to know each other before letting the hormones move us into the stage of a relationship which used to come only after marriage? Nowadays I’ve overheard a young woman say…well, we’re just going to move in together and see what develops. Where is the process of making the commitment to one another of marriage first, then moving in together to establish your own family with perhaps some children added in time? Was that just for old fashioned times and people?

Clothing styles are another area that could use some improvement for many individuals, especially women but also some young men. Many gals let it all hang out, and the guys have a hard time keeping their shorts and jeans up with no belts. Then there is the bra-less look. I remember when that first came about during the 1960s. Many anti-war protestors including young men had burned their draft cards while the young women burned their bras in support of personal freedom. I was in my 20s during that time period and found myself wanting to go along with the current styles that included mini-skirts, but I never felt comfortable dressed that way or that it was really me. Being a naturally shy modest person, and maybe a little old fashioned was a better fit for me.

In today’s society, honesty is lacking both on a family and corporate level. It’s not unusual to know someone in your own family that has cheated on a spouse in the name of freedom and self expression. I remember growing up thinking that everyone was honest but I quickly found out differently as I interacted in our society. We should be able to trust others-our spouse, our banker, our teachers with our kids. Then there are those who use bullying and child/spouse abuse to get their way.

So how do we teach our old fashioned values to our families and encourage them to practice the tried and true ethics? Only by being an example of the good principles, we learned as a child, will change happen.

7 comments:

  1. The illustrations are perfect and matching the text.
    Sigh . ... ..good old values.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would help to convey those values if we could all just slow down and enjoy life. But we all race to the finish line for some kind of conclusion. No need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely said Lin. I too think if we all do slow down and just enjoy what is around us and appreciate what we have that we will see all the wonderful things around us and appreciate them. Then we will feel satisfied and comfortable and our familes will as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have said it all, very well put. This is sad but, so true. Not many people seem interested in teaching these values anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think every generation pretty much feels that way about the next. I've seen some very wonderful young people so I'm hopeful but I can't help but agree with you about the way many younger people dress these days. How does having your pants look like it's going to fall off your hip make you cool? And why are young women flaunting their chests so much? I'm sure they're the very ones who would be first to complain that a fellow is staring at their chest. Ah well...

    Then again... come to think of it, I did wear mini skirts way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual, I agree with Kay about each generation having these feelings. The question is not how to stop change, but to determine when change goes too far and becomes too destructive to people's lives.
    I know a lot of young people who lived together before marriage, but were married when they were ready to have children. They are very stable couples leading very constructive lives. I also know young people who have produced children but have not created stable families. This is hurtful. But it is hardly new to this generation.
    As to clothing, the youngest generation likes too dress to shock the older folks, and of course, they do. But it's their actions that are important. I learned when my kids were teenagers to not judge kids by how they look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that people need to teach their children what values are important to them about whatever faith they do or don't belong to. But honestly and being polite and civil need to be universal..good post Lin...

    ReplyDelete