Ever feel like the movie "Ground Hog," repeating the same events in your life that you'd rather forget over and over again. We both get a chuckle out of that film everytime we see it rerun on TV usually around groundhog day. It's easy to get in RUTTS and end up repeating the same old ineffective self defeating behaviors when we'd rather do things differently.
How do we break out of these comfortable patterns and try something new? Terri Tiffany on her blog the other day discussed always asking God "WHY is this happening to me?" rather than "NOW WHAT?" or "How should I handle this situation?" IF you have a ROUTINE or habit that is working positively for you, that's OK (i.e. reading something inspirational each day, reaching out to meet newcomers, etc.), and not a RUTT.
There are certain necessary STEPS I believe to change RUTTS into STEPPING STONES:
1. RECOGNIZE you are in a RUTT. Take stock, make a list of changes you'll like to make. (i.e. cut back on work hours, budget better, forgive an offender, be more patient, etc.) Next...
2. Feel REMORSE-Decide to stop your negative behavior and try something else NEW. (Ask a higher power for help.)
3. Be open to SERENDIPITY and CREATIVITY in your reactions to what life presents to you.
4. CELEBRATE your progress. We all make MISTAKES, but haven't failed unless we've stopped trying. Recommit to staying on track.
4. Develop an ATTITUDE of GRATITUDE whatever your situation.
Tell us about any RUTTS you are in now and how you can change them or have overcome them in the past.