Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Birthday America


Today I'm posting some photos from my very memorial trip to New York City ten years ago this summer 1999 to be exact. Before the 9/11 event that forever changed our history and the skyline of that famous city.


I went there with two of my sons Daniel (his wife Tina and their two newly adopted twin daughters), and my youngest son Jeffrey. We had two days and a night and managed to see quite a bit-the Statue of Liberty-we climbed up to the crown, Ellis Island, Empire State Building, Central Park and just enjoyed walking the streets of this famous city. I didn't realize what the future would hold for our country when just two short years later the twin towers would be destroyed and so many thousands of American lives lost in a senseless terrorist attack.


Probably most touching to me was the visit to the Ellis Island immigration center where so many immigrants came with cherished dreams to start over in America and make a new life with their families. See more info on their website.

10 comments:

  1. Your photos gave me the chills. Thanks for this reminder of how our landscaped has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had chills when reading your post. It makes one stop and think...Have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hapy 4th! I always wanted to go to Ellis Island when I visited there but never had the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog and like your picture of Lady of Liberty very much. I wrote a whole post on the Statue of Liberty and her story for the 4th – you can read it here http://avagabonde.blogspot.com/ she is a special lady and her message of freedom is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh! I was about to write that I got the chills when I saw the Twin Towers photo but then I noticed everybody else said the same thing. It did give me the chills though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your lovely comment.
    Happy Independence Day.I appreciate for your beautiful post.I will definitely visit the place.Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...the Twin Towers!

    You're a very good photographer! That first photo is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is a native New Yorker so we have made many trips over the years. That whole day so changed us and our feelings of security. Hard to see the skyline without the twin towers...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photo with the Twin Towers makes me sad... and reflective.
    I'd love eto go to Ellis Island someday. The thought of being anywhere near a city of that size sends Wayne into seizures... okay, I exaggerate, but not by much. He HATES being in any city. Provo, St George, North Ogden... So New York is pretty well out of the question.

    ReplyDelete