Thursday, September 8, 2011

Hosfos Museum

There are many informative museums in Reykjavik and other cities but the Emigration Museum in Hosfos was one I've longed to see. Imagine my surprise to find out that the exhibit on Utah Mormons emigrating was in storage, but I enjoyed the new display on emigrants to North Dakota. I've learned so much on this trip of the history of Icelanders coming to North America. They didn't just come to Utah-that was a small portion, many went to Canada and other places. A map given in a slide show at the Icelandic National League's conference held while we were in Hosfos demonstrates that clearly and where there are Icelandic groups that meet today. I got acquainted with several dedicated genealogists here: Pam Olafson Furstenau who has a great website and is active in helping others find their cousins in Iceland and other places, and the new president of the Icelandic National League Gail Einnarson-McLeary. They both have national costumes which are just lovely and gave informative slide shows at the INL conference at Hosfos. Click on photo below for a slide show.
Hosfos Museum

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lin! I am so happy that we met. What a great adventure we are on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that one exhibit wasn't up, but it seems like there was a lot else to see....

    ReplyDelete