Monday, April 4, 2011

Stepping Stones

Who knew that there was so much planning
needed to take place before laying stepping stones?
Not me, but then I'm married to an engineer
who is a perfectionist and does such careful work.

I walked out my pace for the path and he did too.
We discovered that my eight steps equal his seven.
So he measured the gait between them accordingly,
then had to dig under them to make the stones level.

Me, I probably would have just placed them-then
filled around them with pebbles, but that wouldn't do
for someone who is more particular and precise.
There are many ways of approaching tasks I've found.

Some like me are fast and furious, get it done and
move on. Others like my husband are careful and
complete. I'd much rather have him build a house
than me. I'd throw together a shack, and it'd be done.

How like the different ways we live our lives is this?
The creative spontaneous get it done quickly type
vs. the more methodical thorough scientific style
It takes both kinds to make things work and progress.

The finished project from planning to selecting the stones
is almost completed and it saved us many hundreds of dollars
by doing it yourself compared to an expensive landscaper
who wouldn't have done it as nicely. The path is now done.

8 comments:

  1. i love stepping stones. for me they've always been the poetry i couldn't put into words. they were the guide that took me from front door to the driveway, from the back of the house to the garden. But that was at the old house. Maybe we need some stepping stones up here. But where?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, it's quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, how wonderful! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have thrown them and where they landed would have had to do.. LOL.. I love a pathway.. Good thing that your hubby is more precise than me..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Engineers bring precision to the art.

    Thanks for this post full of love and respect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's already looking so very beautiful, Lin. What a wonderful feeling of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If everyone was exactly the same...it would be so boring. You are fortunate to have your husband able to do the stepping stones and be precise, too!

    ReplyDelete