Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Working with Others

I'm involved in several creative projects right now and finding it most difficult to work with some individuals who have a different take on what we're trying to do. As I've thought about it, I realize that COOPERATION is not easy in any relationship: be it marriage, artistic endeavors or even friendships. There has to be some give and take, valuing others and their ideas, not blindly going forward with your own ideas to the detriment of others. It's called working TOGETHER and respecting others ideas, but then jointly making decisions about projects or maybe just even "agreeing to disagree." It all comes down to COMMUNICATION, and some of us are better at this than others. Delegating responsibilities does help, but someone ultimately has to be in charge.

I can see why DICTATORSHIPS are so successful as one leader pushes forward with his ideas despite the wishes of those he leads or works with, but DEMOCRACY or valuing all opinions and ideas is important though more difficult to do. It does come to the point, however, when decisions have to be made in GOOD FAITH, so any project can go forward. UNITY is important but not always possible. I'm at the point of withdrawing from several creative projects because it's become IMPOSSIBLE to work with certain individuals despite my best efforts, and frankly it's not worth my continued time and efforts.

4 comments:

  1. After many years of studing the gospel, I realized that God made leaders and followers. Since I learned this I also came to the conclution that some people just like being in the forefront of anything they do. So when I come across some of these people I always smile at them then I gave them a wink and I would say to them as I am handling the project to them..."I think you have it all figured out and I think you can handle ALL of this BY YOURSELF. Have patience Lin, no matter what they say, your thoughts and comments are needed to accomplish the task.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happened to the class at the Community Arts Center that was advertised in the local newspaper? I was there at 6pm and found a dark empty classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creative work is difficult to cooperate on, because of the nature of being creative. Bow out and keep your peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect clip art to go with the post...

    ReplyDelete