Saturday, November 13, 2010

My lucky day

Eighteen years ago today on Friday Nov 13th
I met my husband to be at a singles dance.
Appropriately so as my parents and maternal
grandparents had also met while at a dance.

Few do that anymore. Dances have certainly
changed with loud music and individual dancing,
there's little opportunity to mingle or talk.
Funniest thing is my husband still can't dance.

What's your experience with social dancing?
I didn't know how in high school and didn't date.
No prom or Senior Hop for me until college days,
then I made up for lost time by dancing 24/7.

I performed on a ballroom dance team at BYU,
folk dance performance group, program bureau
tours, Orchesis (modern dance) company and
loved it. Even majored in dance (physical education).

Life sometimes takes us down different paths
that we start on or have in mind for ourselves,
but it's always interesting where it leads us. Enjoy
the journey, don't focus just on the destination.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Lucky Day !! 'Enjoy
    the journey, don't focus just on the destination'--- loved this line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had the opportunity to dance in years. One of my favorite things about being married was slow dancing with a loved one that you didn't have to think...just dance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could dance. I admire those who do. I enjoyed your post. Love your happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a number of years ago, my friend died.
    Right after Christmas. Went to the funeral and it was awesome. But the best part was a hymn this church sings. I later went back to get a copy of the music/words. On my bleakest days I can still sing this song and remember Barb...and all the other things I am supposed to remember: I danced in the morning when the world was begun,
    And I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun,
    And I came down from heaven and I danced on the earth,
    At Bethlehem I had my birth.
    Refrain

    Dance, then, wherever you may be;
    I am the Lord of the Dance, said he.
    And I’ll lead you all wherever you may be,
    And I’ll lead you all in the dance, said he.

    I danced for the scribe and the Pharisee,
    But they would not dance and they would not follow me;
    I danced for the fishermen, for James and John;
    They came to me and the dance went on.

    Refrain

    I danced on the sabbath when I cured the lame,
    The holy people said it was a shame;
    They whipped and they stripped and they hung me high;
    And they left me there on a cross to die.

    Refrain

    I danced on a Friday and the sky turned black;
    It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back;
    They buried my body and they thought I’d gone,
    But I am the dance and I still go on.

    Refrain

    They cut me down and I leapt up high,
    I am the life that’ll never, never die;
    I’ll live in you if you’ll live in me;
    I am the Lord of the Dance, said he.

    Refrain

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dream is to take dance lessons and be able to do one proper dance with my husband...wonder if there is anyway to do it with all my issues...

    ReplyDelete