Friday, September 24, 2010

New Writing Project

While at the LUW Writer's Conference this past weekend. I arranged to see a publisher to present some ideas I have for possible books. Well, when the time came I couldn't find my publisher Deseret Book, but I did see a man who looked like he could be the fellow named Dirk I was looking for. I asked him if he was representing Deseret Book. He said yes, and his name was Kirk, so I sat down and started talking.

Later I found out it wasn't the company I had an appointment with. But it is owned by Deseret Book, and called Covenant Book. They also print LDS or Mormon books. Luckily no one else had an appointment with him for that 15 minutes. So I gave him some background about me as a writer, and showed him my self published book LOOKING BACK. He listened politely, then said he didn't think my book would sell. It's non-fiction biographical stuff.

So, I presented another idea for a book called FAMILY HOME EVENINGS for EMPTY NESTERS. And he liked the idea and suggested I expand it to include all single adults without children in the church. I later did a little survey of books on FHEs that are out there now and found 18. Only one of them is for couples without children, so I think I've found a niche. However, he suggested I sent him the "complete manuscript." Well that will take me a little time as I have some notes and lots of ideas, but it does give me my next writing project which I'm now working on. I think I will call the book FAMILY HOME EVENING IDEAS for ADULTS ONLY or Family Home Evenings are For Everyone: Ideas for Singles and Empty Nesters. Now I need to get to work.

9 comments:

  1. Good for you for having found a new niche to write in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lin, A new niche to explore.... how exciting!

    Have FUN...............

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always exciting to have new ideas to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best Of Luck !Sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl! You have a good supply of ideas, along with the motivation to go with it. Good luck and full speed ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exciting Lin...but I think your other book would be well received too.....

    ReplyDelete