Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Self Image

After you've blogged like I have for three years, you find yourself repeating some of the same topics. Check out my post on SELF IMAGE I made last November. It's pretty good. Seems I'm always trying to reinvent myself or come up with something good. "Improve myself" is the name of the game or endeavor. As my gray roots begin showing again, it's time to hit the bottle-not alcohol but hair coloring. For a long time I've been using semi-permanent color on my hair but it always washed out in a few weeks whether or not I did it myself at home or had it done in the beauty parlor. Then one day I thought maybe I'm ready for permanent color since my gray is so resistant. Duh!

So I checked with my beautician and she said it wasn't any harsher on your hair than the semi-permanent color, and it did last longer. Today I made the leap doing it myself. As my hair was reaching the white stage which meant all my blond color was washed out, I took out my new hair color box with a slightly darker blonde called medium and did it. It should have said brunette which is what I am now. But hey I like to be creative and it will wash out or will it? Actually my hubby sat across from me at lunch and never noticed the difference, and I can always wear a hat for a week or so. LOL!

Then I got to thinking about my self image. We women worry about it a lot-go on diets, shop for new clothes, exercise, color-perm, cut and style our hair incessantly. It certainly takes up a lot of our time and money, but that's only the visual part. Then there is our internal or eternal self image-the sort of person we are becoming because of our behavior, actions and thoughts. What a lot of work it is to become all you can be and focus on the important things and not get lost in thick of thin things. Actually now that I'm looking at these photos and not in the mirror, I think I like being a brunette! I spent most of my life that color. Here I am below.

14 comments:

  1. That's brunette? It's a long way from my hair color (gray not included), but whatever...it looks good on you.

    You are right, women are always thinking about how we look. My mother, 79, now has nice eyebrow tats, takes good care of her hair (and distresses over it's thinning), and thinks well-fitting, stylish clothes are important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been brave enough to try hair coloring. My daughter at 41 is gray (like her father) and has been coloring her hair for several years.

    Yours looks great. If I ever get up the courage to try it I would like that color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your hair color! Great job. (I read in Newsweek or somewhere just yesterday that gray hair is now "in," and many young celebs are now wearing it. WHAT are they thinking?!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair color looks very natural.
    I have never colored my hair. I think "natural" is my word. I get my hair cut every five weeks, in a short, easy style. I don't want to fuss over it anymore. when I was younger I spent too much time worrying about my hair. While I never wore much makeup, I don't wear any anymore. Natural. I don't spend much time or money on clothes either. I hardly ever dress up. Comfortable is my word there. I am no longer worried about my image, just my health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lin, Lately (like about three times) when I've tried to access your newest post, I get a message saying that page "does not exist." I just tried accessing your latest post about a new home but got that message again. Just wanted you to know what's going on....Jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh! I always thought brunette meant more like dark brown. That looks to be a beautiful blonde. It's gorgeous, Lin! I can't believe you did it by yourself. You've got a new career waiting for you. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your, definitely still medium to dark blonde, hair color! It looks GREAT!!!

    Yeah, why do we go through all of the external stuff anyway? Wayne crawls out of bed, throws on some torn, usually dirty, clothes and meanders on out the door. He often doesn't brush his teeth, he NEVER combs his hair, (well, Monday through Saturday, anyway.) He just trucks on into his day without giving the slightest thought to how he looks...or smells...

    I, on the other hand... shower, smooth on some deliciously aromatic body lotion, work at trying to control the remaining curls on my head, put on my foundation, eyemake-up, lipgloss, a little blush... look for something fresh and at least semi-feminine to wear, and finally head into my day. What the heck???

    The INTERNAL stuff I like. That all makes perfect sense to me. I don't notice that too many men get over involved in that part of self improvement either, though. Wayne stays well informed and abreast of world affairs...expecially what's happening in politics... He does try to learn more about gardening and caring for farm animals. But, as for reading anything that smacks of self improvement, or doing an emotional or mental exercise, or reflecting on personal growth... nah, not so much.

    I'm beginning to be a believer in the Women/Men...Venus/Mars theory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking lovely ! I love your new make over.Stay healthy ,happy and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look fabulous! I quit dying a long time ago. It's just too expensive and too much trouble for me. I don't mind turning gray, though. I earned every one of those gray hairs. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your hair...the semi-perm will wash out in several weeks. I have to have mine done is a salon as I have problem gray hair that doesn't want to take...wish I could do it myself.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not quite ready for all of the grey hair that I hide every 7 weeks or so. I'm more of an interior person than the exterior one.

    ReplyDelete