Thursday, April 8, 2010

Old Homesteads


We had a fun afternoon visiting this old Texas farm house where cousin Amelia Forrest's grandparents and parents have lived for the past 100 years out in the countryside. She recalled fun times of riding the school bus into town for classes and growing up in the countryside. Amelia is quite the genealogist and has collected many family photos including this fun one of her as a little girl and my hubby as a baby in 1945 in a dress. All baby boys wore dresses in those days. The first photo was taken almost 65 years ago.


Here they are now. One of the great benefits of doing your genealogy is the connections you make with living relatives. You even meet long lost relatives in pursuing this interesting hobby.

My husband Allen remembers sleeping in this room while visiting his cousin Nathan Forrest during the summer when he was a young boy.

I admired this ceramic cowboy statue in Amelia's family homestead and she decided to give it to me. She had made it for her dad, my hubby's great uncle. I'll add it to my Texas collection at home. Thanks for the memories of a fun afternoon cousin Amelia and husband Mike.

6 comments:

  1. Such a lovely house..i loved both the pictures NOW AND THEN.Your post are getting me more interested in genealogy.I am happy that both of you are having a wonderful time .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you made this trip and are finding so much new information, and making so many new connections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful you have met and visited with your family members. And how pleased you must be to learn more of the family's history as you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are finding so much enjoyment in your travels!

    ReplyDelete