Saturday, March 6, 2010

Offended

I belong to a camera club and recently attended a meeting where the teacher offended me with her language. I considered ignoring the experience but then decided to write this person an email to tell her of my feelings. Have you ever done anything like this?

This is the letter I wrote to her...You are doing a great job leading our group and with your lesson today. I'm impressed. I do want to mention however with your teaching today that I was shocked each time you used the words "Oh God!" in your presentation. I'm sure it's just a part of your daily normal speech, and it's not offensive to you in any way, but it was to me. I found myself stopped each time you used that phrase-about 5-6 different times. I know some people like Carl (another teacher) use "damn" and "hell" to be colorful in their teaching but somehow using a name for deity "God" just seemed inappropriate in a public teaching situation. I wanted you to know this. Sincerely, Lin Floyd Her response was-Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will be aware of that in the future.

Then I'm watching last night a new series on genealogy called Who do you think you are? presented by www.ancestry.com. They traced the ancestors of Sarah Jessica Parker whose every other word was "Oh my god" although she did once say "Oh my gosh." My mom used to use that same expression all the time too. It was difficult to communicate with her my reaction to that phrase since it didn't mean the same thing to her. Give me your take on this.

7 comments:

  1. Yikes, I must be more careful in what I say, as I do say "oh god" as well. It just slips out but truly when I stop to think about it after readin your post I do realize how it must sound. And I mean absolutely no harm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because there are many people in my family and friendship groups that are religious, and because I know it can be offensive to them, I am careful about when and where I say this expression, but I do say it because it has no real meaning for me, and I know that gosh and golly and darn are just softer versions of the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say, Oh, god, too, but I don't say it to be disrespectful of the deity. The expression, to me, is simply a stronger version of oh, my.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear..I will have to be more careful as I say it and don't mean it in a negative way...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you handled it nicely. Often times, people are unaware of what/how they say things. At the very least, you have raised her awareness. With the millions of words available for use, maybe she will pick a different phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A member of our church always very vocally changes the pronouns for God to she from he. She is loud about it during our prayers. This does not sit well with me; it seems she is making the service about her politics rather than what it is mean to be. I think it's good you let the teacher know how you feel. Might be the first time she thought about God.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can think of many more things that offend me in daily speech; racial slurs, degrading or lewd humor, and general lack of respect for your fellow man. I do wonder though what the original intent was behind "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain." I found an interesting article as to the application of this commandment.

    http://www.achievebalance.com/spirit/cnc/third.htm

    ReplyDelete