Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Giving Service

From my scripture study this morning I came across a question that asked How can you become more Christlike? It suggested studying His life and then trying to follow His example. I picture Him as very loving, helpful and serving. I would like to become more like that. So what opportunities are there to serve? We are surrounded by them. Right now giving our money or other resources to help the people of Haiti comes to my mind. But closer to home, there are unlimited ways to extend a helping hand. Teaching free classes, calling or visiting a shut-in, etc.

In our church we have a program called visiting teaching where the women go out in pairs to the homes of about 2-4 other women in our congregation monthly to give them a message and see how they are doing. When needs arise, we give service-comfort, casseroles, listening ears and whatever else seems appropriate. The men in our church do the same thing for church families as home teachers. All of us can do this with our friends also. Just opening our eyes to the needs about us can reveal new avenues of serving.

The other day I was in the post office when a woman was trying to fill out a change of address form and came back to the counter to ask the clerk if she had a magnifying glass because this woman had forgotten her reading glasses and couldn't see to fill out the form. Opportunity knocking, I thought surely someone will help her. After I finished my business with the postal clerk I saw the woman still struggling alone with her nose almost on the paper form. So I went up to her and asked if she needed some help. I surely do, she said. So I finished filling out the new address form and showed her where to sign her name. She looked at me gratefully and asked, Did God send you? I smiled and thought yes.

We all need each other, whether or not we know each other well or are strangers. See who you can help today in some way. It will bless your life. Come back and tell us about it later. It can be as easy as commenting on a blog, sending an email or calling a friend.

6 comments:

  1. Your church does such a great job of living its faith. So admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wonderful post is a good reminder for all of us to take that little step to help and love others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the small things that sometimes mean the most too. Well done, Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely right, Lin! Most often when we help someone else, we receive as much good will as we give. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to do little things that might make someone's elses day a little easier..and then I am surprised when someone would do that for me. It must be very nice to be part of a community whereby you all help one another.. then no one is ever left alone..nice Lin....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Lin for sharing so many wonderful thoughts and ideas with us! As mentioned by another blogger its sometimes the little things that make the biggest difference in our lives.

    ReplyDelete