Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Aging and the Journey

We may be a grandparent, retired and now tired,
hopefully not without vision or voice to proclaim:
The journey was worth it, but I wouldn't repeat it.
Whether anyone will listen or not is another matter.
Old age shows wear and tear on our body but not
our spirit. We move slower, have less strength and
get up and go, but we're thankful to be still moving.


Faces filled with wrinkles, laugh and worry lines,
children grow, leave returning with grandchildren.
Hair looses it's youthful color, if left to nature
crowns us with a lovely white halo for women
or baldness for men. We look back reaffirming:
The journey was worth it, but I wouldn't repeat it
unless I could travel knowing what I know now.

7 comments:

  1. Incredible journey....incredible life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that I am a grandma some day..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would repeat it, though with more wisdom sooner, if that's possible. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How would we do it differently if we had the wisdom of age in our youth? But then it would be someone else's life story, not mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would repeat my life only if I could have all the wisdom I've gained along the way! Perhaps its best to leave it well enough alone and continue on to more wonderful adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everybody. I would repeat it only with the knowledge I have now. Then again, do I really want to repeat it? I don't know. It was great the first time. Would it be as great the second time?

    ReplyDelete