Monday, November 9, 2009

Putting your best foot forward


That's part of marketing too. I had a fun experience at church yesterday. Sat down next to a new couple and we started talking. They are new to our area, moved here from Idaho for the warm winters. We seemed to click and I ended up inviting my new acquaintance and her hubby to accompany us to a archeology club meeting this week. Later I got to thinking how making new friends is like marketing or presenting yourself. You smile, you listen, you ask questions and sometimes you connect.

Another experience last night at dinner our friendly waiter smilingly said "beer or root beer?" I laughed because I live in Utah where there are many non drinkers and root beer is a favorite drink. He was marketing or presenting himself as our helpful waiter and probably hoped to receive a bigger tip for his performance.

Then we went for a walk and I noticed the many desert flowers still in bloom-more marketing for those houses for sale, and for our community which has standards of maintenance to keep our area looking nice. I'm uploading some of the photos taken on our walk and will let you think more about appearances, smiles, dress, manners, behavior, dating, teaching, conversations, politics, etc as marketing. Note the difference in your reactions to the appearance of the daisies and the cactus. Would love your comments...

8 comments:

  1. My son-in-law is Mormon and my grandchildren are being raised in the Mormon faith. My daughter, however, has not yet converted.

    My neighbors are Mormon, also.

    I find Mormons to be courteous, friendly, and family oriented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we look that way we will find marketing ruling the world ....nice observations.Daisies are a treat to eyes but cactus are interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to think about flowers marketing themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lin: This gave me an "a-ha" moment! How very true that marketing is all around us, or maybe its just how one perceives it and uses it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, how we present ourself is marketing. I enjoyed this, Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess blogging is pretty much marketing, too, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The daisies are a feast for the eyes, makes you go "awwwwww". I'd look for interesting formations and shapes in the cactus...

    This one makes you think!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting post Lin..I guess we are marketing ourselves. And honey gets more than vinegar..I enjoy the flowers and the cactus..but I think I can be more like a cactus at times...prickly..but really a softie...

    ReplyDelete