Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Depression

I have a close friend who is depressed. It's difficult to deal with as I want to make it all better, to help this person see their value and feel good about themselves. But it's not that easy. I wonder why we are so critical of ourselves all the time? Especially as we get older and see the end of our life looming even without serious health issues. It's easy to look back and judge our lives accomplishments too harshly. We all gave it our best shot and that's all you can ask of yourself.

Especially during the holidays, depression comes easily for some people as they think of family and their expectations for their life that never came to be. If you believe this life is all you get, then that is depressing. My faith and belief system gives me HOPE and an understanding of my PURPOSE here in life is to learn and grow. I believe in an afterlife where I'll be with all my family and loved ones in a great REUNION where all our struggles and trials will be better understood. In the meantime we are here to love and serve one another, emulating the life of the Savior.

How do you cope with holiday stresses and depression in yourself or others?

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear of your friend's depression. I suffered depression my first year of college, but luckily since then I haven't experienced it to any degree. It must be crippling to carry such burdens on one's shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am sorry to hear about your friend. I must admit I seem to be depressed during the holiday season. I know the reason why but it still is hard to just "shake it off". One way to help your friend is to just be there and it sounds as if you are supporting her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One way is to COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS!

    Despite my rocky past and uncertain future, I always feel better when I count my blessings. For sure, God is watching over me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one is up all of the time, but depressions means you are almost never up, that you can not experience joy. True depression requires medical treatment.
    When I experienced depression, it was eventually solved by a diagnosis of hypothroidism, and relieved by taking thyroid replacement. What a difference.
    If your friend is really just "blue", a remedy is to stay busy, and do something for someone else. There's always someone who needs help or support more that you yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry to hear this about your dear friend...i hope with as concerned friend as you she will pass this phase very soon.I think Gigi is right here...we do need to count our blessings from time to time and another wonderful advice from Linda is to keep busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the feeling. So difficult. I know the feeling passes, but when I am in the midst of it, I am stuck for as long as it lasts. I have learned to tell myself it is what it is and to let it pass. But depression is a trickster that tries so hard to convince the one it beholds that it is reality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I agree with Linda, staying busy, and doing something for someone else is really good therapy (if you can get their cooperation).


    Wishing you and the family a fantastic Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts have been preoccupied lately because I got a message from several friends informing me that the son of our psychologist friend at the school where I used to work was hit by a train after midnight. I'm assuming it was a suicide and it is draining to think about our friend and his wife. I can't imagine losing my son but to think your son was that depressed is really too difficult to accept. I hope your friend will find some light and happiness.

    How do I cope? I share whatever I feel with my husband and children. They never fail to perk me back up.

    Happy Thanksgiving, Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I avoid the holiday songs. I look I volunteer. And call my friend of 40+ years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a hard time with holidays as they didn't bring out the best in my home as a child.. I just try to make happy memories to take the place of those..but it is an ongoing challenge....

    ReplyDelete