Thursday, November 19, 2009

Aging?

Suddenly I’m elderly
being called “dear” and “sweetie,”
helped to cross the street by boy scouts.

Just how did this happen
to little old me while
I was busy doing other things.

At age 16, I couldn't wait to be 18
graduated from high school
ready to take on the world.
Then suddenly I found myself 22
not married but graduated
from college and an old maid.
At age 24, I was finally getting married
with my whole happy life before me.
But ten frustrating years later
found me getting a divorce and
a single parent of three lively sons
facing life alone without a job.

Just how did this happen
to little old me while
I was busy doing other things.



At age 39, I thought I’d found
true love again and remarried
adding son #4 to my family.
Thirteen years later there I was
now age 52 divorced again
with only one child at home.




Just how did this happen
to little old me while
I was busy doing other things.

Not wasting much time
I immediately found another
loving companion to join my adventures.
We married and set out to live
our future golden years together.
After all our debts were paid,
children raised, and an empty nest
facing us, we looked at each other
and surprisingly said:

Just how did this happen
to little old us while
we were busy doing other things.

12 comments:

  1. Very nice Lin. Hmmm...makes me stop at think as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Mormon neighbor told me, "Mormon men make the best husbands." She didn't elaborate, and I didn't think to ask her why.

    Is that really true?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific post, Lin. Very well said. I'm wondering the same thing and so is my mother. She keeps reminding me every so often when I'm trying to do something a little crazy, "You're not young anymore, you know." I keep thinking I am and she says she thinks of herself that way, too. I think a lot of aging is in our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the perspective that a little age brings. Not a lot of the rest of it, but perspective, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Gigi all three of my husbands were Mormon so what can I say...it takes more than religion to make a good husband-personality and character traits such as integrity, sense of humor, patience, etc. are all part of the whole picture...Lin

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have certainly weathered some storms!! Great post. Exactly when did we get 'old'?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer to think of myself as wiser, more experienced, mature, out my body just feels OLD.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Old??? Not us! Surely, not us. We are too young at heart! Ha! Lovely post, Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post, Lin. You really do have a way with words, I like the way you did that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Outstanding post ....just touched 42nd year of my life.looking at one or two grays on my crown wondering same ....

    ReplyDelete
  11. very thought provoking post lin. it happens to me too. i ponder on by gone days and say how did it happen to me ???? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lin, the best thing about your poem, AGING, is that it is universally reflective. Anyone who reads it can identify empathetically with your life situation. Thanks for being vulnerable.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete