Friday, October 9, 2009

Article #75 Childhood Pastimes

Ever look back and wonder how your spent your childhood? Growing up in rural Utah, I had a special playhouse in my grandma’s attic complete with a crib for my baby doll plus a little table and chairs with a small cupboard to hold my tea set. Playing house was the name of the game. Pretending to be the mom, and taking care of my baby (doll) filled many happy hours. Dressing-up with my girl friends in my mom’s old clothes and high heels was great fun. (Photo on left of my girl friend Marilyn with the umbrella and me playing dressup.) We could be gypsies or grownups going to a party. Acting like a doctor or nurse using my medical kit, I could give shots or make slings, take temperatures or listen for my patient’s heartbeat, etc. I suppose I was trying on future adult roles in my pretending.

As a preschooler, I remember having a mixed group of friends that included boys and girls. We loved to play outside regardless of the weather. In the winter, we made snowmen and used our sleighs to pull one another. In summer, we built forts or hideouts, and used our creative imaginations to pretend we were Cowboys and Indians fighting each other. Outside games popular in my mom and grandmother’s days like Hide and Seek, and Kick the Can were also popular. During school recesses, I liked to hang upside down on the monkey bars and twirl around or play on the big swings and teeter totters. The girls had a game of jacks and the boys loved to shoot marbles. (Photo on right of my elementary school-it still stands.)

Growing older, I got interested in playing board games with my best girl friend. We loved to sit down for an afternoon after school or on the weekend pursuing riches and success with Monopoly. I even learned how to gamble by playing Poker for pennies. Then there was Canasta-a complicated card game popular at the time with adults too.

Evenings were spent doing homework or watching the limited TV programs available. A favorite group activity during my Jr. High days (photo of me on the left at that age) was going to the roller rink with friends. I always hoped to be picked by a certain boy for the couples skate only. During high school, I enjoyed sports after classes like field soccer and volleyball. Active in the Home Economics club, Scholarship Society, and Chemistry Club plus dancing in Drama productions kept me busy trying to find my place in the world. (To purchase a collection of past columns in book format, contact lin at sunrivertoday dot com.)

10 comments:

  1. Li ,oh my god it sounds like a day in my daughter's life ...i mean when you talk about your pre-school days.The last picture is so beautiful....really pretty.I think little girls from all over the world have same interests and play-activities only with a regional touch....my mom used to make cotton stuffed dolls for me using cloth-material..embroidered eyebrows,buttons as eyes,woolen hairs....it used to be very soft and cuddly...i have many guests at home once they leave we plan to make a doll like that together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed this post very much. Made me stop and think about my growing up years. Ah..loved dress-up, playing with the neighborhood friends, walking to the library all by myself, going to the corner store for penny candy, and board games were enjoyed as well. And I loved cutting pictures out of the Sears catalog to make paper dolls with! Spent hours building snow forts, sliding on cardboard, and making snow angels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have a wonderful childhood full of happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great memories..... they do dust off so well, don't they!!

    I'm glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a playhouse, too. My sister and I spent many hours in it, imagining we were grown-ups. Playing "dress-ups" was another favorite of ours, and playing school. I always had to be the teacher. I enjoyed playing with my dolls and sewing clothes for them. I also played outdoors a lot, building snow forts in the winter, ice skating, etc. I was lucky to grow up on a farm, so there was always plenty to do, although I was forever telling my mother, in the summer, that I was bored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking back can be so much fun. I remember those old half slips that were full of netting. I'd put that on my head and pretend to be a bride. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post made me smile. My daughter and nephews spent the afternoon playing school--on the Sat. of a three-day weekend! Go figure. I think children practice the lives we live for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lin, you had a very rich childhood, full of fun aand friends and opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You interest sound like my own. I wonder how many kids sit and play board games anymore...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jumprope and hopscotch...too bad they have faded into the background for today's youth. You and I had some very similar experiences.

    ReplyDelete