Thursday, July 30, 2009

Wisdom of Peanuts

Classic Peanuts Cartoon by Charlie Schulz
We seem to be a driven society without balance: rushing towards making money, consumed with our electronic gadgets and quite self centered. Living as if there were no tomorrow. Then tragedy strikes, someone dies suddenly of a heart attack or a terrible accident on the freeway or an overdose of drugs or by someone we know taking their own life. That seems to stop us for a moment while we ponder how quickly life can be over.

Realizing it could be us also or one of our loved ones, helps put everything back in the right perspective as we ask ourselves what really matters in this life? It is relationships and becoming a better person through love and service. Taking time for family members to have an influence for good in their lives. Complimenting and encouraging a friend takes so little time and is focusing on the real values of life. Let's all slow down sometime soon and show GRATITUDE in our behavior and prayers for the many blessings that are ours each day.

9 comments:

  1. I like your wisdom Lin, your posts are always food for thought. And yes, its best to slow down NOW and not put it off til later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words of wisdom....every time i come to you,i learn something new..Thanks again Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like the wit and wisdom of Peanuts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great post, Lin. Thanks for the reminder, a lot of people need this. I try, and hope I am succeeding at it, to always be grateful and express that gratitude. I make it a point to count my blessings - always, especially at those times I find myself feeling out-of-sorts and cranky. It helps to ground me and bring me back to a civilized state of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya gotta love Charlie Brown and Snoopy! I agree that many people need to slow down and smell the roses. I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very timely. I have been deeply effected by the loss in JoyLynn's family. How quickly perspective changes when a child is no longer there to call and chat with... to drop by and help his dad with the garden. When a young grandchild is snatched from your arms and you realize that you won't help pick out her first prom dress or watch her graduate from high school.

    Suddenly, a new couch, new Christmas dishes, or new drapes in the bedroom seem so superficial.

    Loved the cartoon...loved your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right, Lin. And so is CB. Going to slow down around those corners and take my time getting to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never seen that particular cartoon, but it is so very true. We are always in a hurry....

    ReplyDelete