Monday, May 11, 2009

Mothers what would we do without them?

Each Mother's Day we always took a photo of my mom and myself with my son Daniel's wife Tina and their four children...it's been several years since Nana (my mom-see our photo on left) was with us so thought I'd remember her and her influence on our lives. First of all she gave birth to me...then raised me alone as a young widow working as a telephone operator until her remarriage when I was 17 years old. She lived to be 89 years old and always put family first-worrying and caring for us was foremost in her life. Helping in any way she could, she didn't want to die because she felt she'd never see us again. Despite all my assurances that her departed family members were there waiting on the other side, she feared death and our separation. I often wonder how she is doing and pray for her happiness in heaven after a challenging turn on earth. I love you Mom and we will meet again. (Below is a photo of me with my twin grand daughters l-r Heather and Emilee and my dg-in-law Tina)
A quote to ponder from Sheri Dew in her book Saying It Like It Is... Happiness and joy come only when we are living up to who we are. Another quote for women like Sheri who are still single and never had the opportunity to become mothers...p. 54 While we tend to equate motherhood solely with maternity, in the Lord's language the word mother has layers of meaning. Of all the words they could have chosen to define her role and her essence, both God the Father and Adam called Eve "the mother of all living," and they did so before she even bore a child. Like Eve, our motherhood began before we were born. Motherhood is more than bearing children, though it is certainly that. It is the essence of who we are as women. She goes on to say that children need all the mothering they can get from all the women in their lives and I would add all the men in their lives...



Above photos of my son Dan cooking Mother's Day dinner-it was new and different Italian dish with chicken and capers-very good. Spent an enjoyable Mother's Day with family: saw 4 of my 5 grandchildren, had dinner with two of my sons and their wives-Dan and Tina, Jeff and Rachel, got a phone call message from my oldest son Frank, grandson Hakan and his wife Nedret in Santa Fe, and my bachelor son Brook in Seattle communicated with me via FACEBOOK with an email. I say I won at BINGO this year! I LOVE my family just wish we could ALL get together some time.

12 comments:

  1. I think you did hit the jackpot! :-) Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dan looks to be very comfortable in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally super! What a great mom you had and you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely post, Lin. And, thanks esp. for sharing the quote from Sheri Dew about mothering and motherhood. I think she says it very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Mother's Day and the food looks wonderful! You did hit the jackpot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post. Just dropped in to say 'hello!'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a super day! Dinner and all!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The passage of time and the evolution of things that will be. Our children grow up and they move on with their lives. Sometimes we wish they would set aside times when all would be in the same place at the same time, unfortunately it seldom happens thus one has to enjoy each moment cataloging digitially (pics).

    You are blessed. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lin, you mom was probably an amazing woman to raise her children alone.

    I love the part where you say children need to be mothered by as many women as possible, and adding the men in there too. It's so true. Your son is good boy to make that dinner it looks delicious.

    I'm so happy for you to have such a big caring family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Cow, Woman!! I'd say you scored big time on mother's day. From having what looks like a yummy dinner made for you to the e-mail from Brook and all and everything in between.

    I'm happy it was happy for you!!!

    I love the page 54 quote. It's extremely wise and offers some lovely and comforting thoughts..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful family and lovely photos. The food looks delicious. Glad you all had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely Mother's Day post....Your Mom raised a wonderful daughter, Mom and Grandmom...A belated Happy Mother's Day Lin...hugs...Michelle

    ReplyDelete