Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Changing the World

It is within you to change the world––not the whole world but the circle of influence you'll be able to reach. Amazing quote from Ardeth Kapp-an LDS Young Women leader, writer and educator at a recent talk at BYU. That quote reminded me of my PATRIARCHAL BLESSING, that I received when I was 20 years old and a Junior at BYU, it says...you will be able to make a contribution to this world that will be helpful to its advancement and its upbuilding. That sentence always made me feel uneasy, not understanding what it really meant. Was I going to be famous (and rich), so that I could be an influence for good on many? Now reading it over in light of Ardeth Kapp's quote, it finally makes sense to me and relates to EACH OF US in our daily lives.

We all have the OPPORTUNITY to be an influence for good or bad on everyone we come in contact with but especially with our family members and close friends who we interact with the most. Just walking down the street or meeting a total stranger, we can IMPACT their life in some way. Maybe by saying just the right word or giving ENCOURAGEMENT to someone that needed a lift that day. I firmly believe that God uses US to touch the lives of others, and TO ANSWER THEIR PRAYERS. There is a deeper meaning and structure to our lives than any of us know. (Thanks to my friend Mary who is my teacher and my student-photo below. She's helped me find new doors with opportunities to explore. Check out her website. She makes lovely calligraphy pedigree charts with original illustrations.)

So how does one find that deeper meaning? Writing in a journal thoughtfully can help us unearth our PERSONAL MISSION here on earth. PRAYER, COMMUNION and MEDITATION also can elevate our thoughts beyond the mundane to see the whole picture. The PURPOSE of earth life and the effect our daily endeavors have on others shows us what we can accomplish, OPENS new doors, and develops a NEW OUTLOOK within us about our life. That's why I love BLOGGING, it's an opportunity to look into other's souls and share some of their deepest emotions and thoughts. Then take the time to respond and share your reactions on what they have written. Thanks to all who take time to comment on my blog-you make my day!

7 comments:

  1. I spent some time with Ardeth as a family reunion once (someone else's family reunion!)...she was very sweet and so kind. I thought about my P-blessing yesterday as well...I read a line that suddenly made more sense. It was admonishing me to "listen" to the talks given by church leaders at conference. Being from Ohio, I would really only have listened to them once...back then. And then read their talks in the Ensign...but these days I can (and do) listen to their talks over and over again online. This small point showed me again that my blessing was inspired and given by an inspired man. Most people back in the early 90s would not have envisioned us listening to these talks...but now we know that we can do that quite easily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Paul Simon who was our Illinois Senator and about the greatest guy ever to serve our state give a speech at our son's University of Illinois Commencement. He said that it wasn't all those honor students up in the front row that would necessarily be the movers and shakers of the world. His arms swept the arena and said all of you out there, in your travels around the world would impact how people thought about our country and would make an even greater difference. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why our son joined the Peace Corps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many ways to have an impact on others. I was reminded of that while I was back at my old school working with kids and visiting with old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the bit of insight and advice I needed today. We move mountains a few stones at a time. Now to be content with that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been considering that idea the past 2 days....and was reminded twice last night of the same thing. The institute teacher reminded us that the Lord Loves us just as we are. He expects us to be justified always and then we will become sanctified as we continue to the upward course. In discussing this with a friend who didn't stay for Institute, I told her of a line from the John Adams series...Do good, Be good. And that is how we change our world

    ReplyDelete
  6. tried to comment on your friends blog about the lovely family tree...but i'm not a member and was refused comment. please tell her for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have really enjoyed getting to know you Lin....and I appreciate you taking the time to get to know me...

    ReplyDelete