Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Masquerading today

A couple of women in my Daughters of Utah Pioneers group asked me for some computer technical help today because someone I know who knows a lot about computers said I was an expert. HA HA HA HA HA! LOL! As my son Daniel says, You know just enough to be dangerous. He got me started in computers and has been my teacher-mentor every since. At any rate, I told my friend that I was not a computer expert but I'd take a look and see what I could do. She has Microsoft WORD and a PC computer. I have WORD and a mac computer! 

Well on the way over there, I said quite a few prayers and after about an hour of working on her computer mostly looking at help screens and being creative, I solved her WORD problem. She was so happy, and I was so happy AND relieved. So then I went over to another friend's house and helped her for two hours to install WORD on her mac and hook up her printer. Then of course she needed some lessons on how to use it! 

Guess it's payback time for all the free instruction I've received over the years from others. An exhausting day but exhilarating. Try doing something you don't know how to do sometime, it will make you stretch. And as my blogging friend Leona says...ASAP Always Say A Prayer (for help.)


Photo of my friends l-r Marilyn, me and Leah who went to the League of Utah Writer's conference with me. We had fun and learned lots. Marilyn won three awards for her poetry!

6 comments:

  1. It's nice that you were able to help. I think the difference in computer savvy is mostly attitude: my mother is so unsure and nervous about anything to do with technology, yet my grandchildren have no trepidation at all.

    Those of us who didn't grow up with computers around are way more afraid of messing something up.

    I'm sure those lovely ladies were happy to have your help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think I could "break" them if I did the wrong thing on a computer. Now I know that the worst that can happen is you use a little bit of work, turn the thing off and let it figure itself out. Works for me.
    Getting to know new programs can be frustrating if you try to hurry. If I learn to give myself time, it goes much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paying it forward is what I call it. It is very rewarding being able to help out someone who needs it. Nice photo of you and your friends Lin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a computer adventure. I marvel at how much of life with computers is learned or fixed by neighbors who know that bit more. The computer keeps alive the oral tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! It feels wonderful to help someone else.

    And BTW, I also know enough about computers to be dangerous. That's why I had to get a new computer this past Spring. :-) Now I know...NEVER go into the registry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's see... I could probably help someone figure out how to get it plugged in and turned on, and which side of the mouse to click. After that, I'd just give em your phone number.

    Good job. It is kind of fun to learn that you really can do things you didn't think you could!

    ReplyDelete