Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Huckleberries

FYI-The Wild Huckleberry is a non cultivated berry that grows in mountain ranges above 5,000 feet. The berry resembles a blueberry, yet the taste is rare, wild and bold. Unfortunately they don't ripen till later in summer but there sure are lots of them available in the wilds up here. They are blooming right now.

I will send a jar of huckleberry jam to any of my step daughters who make a comment on my blog and then ask them to PIF-pay it forward- send something to three other people who sign their blog and are willing to PIF. More prizes later for the person with the most comments on my blog this month who hasn't gotten a prize before. So comment now. You can do it as anonymous if you don't want to register.

7 comments:

  1. Huckleberries, huh? Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. huckleberries. huh? are they sweet...do they jam up as sweet? What color?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've sent huckleberry jam to friends who live out of state. It seems to be kind of a Utah berry. Maybe it's the elevation, or the lack of humidity. Whatever, it's pretty yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huckleberries are similar to low bush blueberries in Maine - anyone remember Blueberries For Sal, the children's book? But huckleberries are definitely a Northwest treat. Growing up in a logging town in the foothills of the Cascade Mts. in Oregon, we went huckleberry picking every August. It was an adventure driving up narrow logging roads into the high country.
    As an adult I have gone berry picking with my sister and family in the mountains of Washington state.
    The berries are a bit seedy, but they make the most delicious pie. Long ago, my mother would make a fruit sauce out the the berries and then serve them with hot-out-of-the-oven homemade bread for dipping in the juice. Yum. Wow! I hadn't thought of that for years. Thanks for the kick in the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoyed reading Linda's comments and memories of Huckleberries. It's absolutely my all time favorite ice cream. Well... I only really like a few kinds of ice cream so maybe that's not all that big a deal. But, there's a Wild Huckleberrie salad dressing that is to die for! And the filled Huckleberrie cookies in Trout Creek, Montana (an old logging town) were a treat for the Gods. I'm drooling like some sick fool!

    ReplyDelete