Thursday, March 20, 2008

Money, money, money


Money is an interesting commodity
It separates people into different classes
Those who have and those who don’t

It motivates much of the social ills
In our society: robberies, scams, crime
Drugs, wars, prostitution and more

Yet it is necessary for daily survival
Food, shelter, warmth, transportation
Education, health care and clothing

I think I would like a barter system
Where we all helped each other
And traded services in a community

Tell me how you feel about money
Is it okay to spend what you don’t have
To get in debt or should you save it all

Be selfish and hoard all that you have
How much should you help others
Does God deserve your contribution?

Money can represent security, power
Pride, greed or charity, benevolence
It should not motivate who we are

1 comment:

  1. I'm a firm believer in the "casting bread upon the water" line of thinking. I believe the more generous you are... the more life fills your plate. Besides, it we're willing to leave it all behind when we die, it seems so inconsistant to me to hang on to it with clutched fists in the here and now. Seems like there's always someone out there who's needs are greater than mine. So...

    Wayne has always said he'd like to return to the days of bartering. But he's worried about his lack of skills in a situation like that. No one wants to trade for psychiatric treatment for themselves or a family member... and other than that, he thinks all he can throw in the barter pot is his muscle power. I don't believe that's true... but, even if it was... it's not in any way a bad thing having a little brute strength around when you need it. I've certainly enjoyed living with my superman.

    Debt is always, always a bad idea. From time to time, it may be necessary... but, I'm not convinced it's ever wise. I also think it's silly to hoard it. In my book, it's like trying to hoard happiness. Save a little for tough times that may be waiting arounbd the bend, sure...but hoarding it just to say you have it?? Why? And, to me, whether God, "deserves" or needs my contribution or not isn't the point. He's asked me for it... Whether he needs it, or what He chooses to direct His leaders to do with it isn't my concern.

    So... since you asked, "thems" my feelings on the matter...

    ReplyDelete